Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Day Wal-Mart Stood Still!

August 27, 2010, The Day Wal-Mart Stood Still!

It was shortly after 8:30 Pm and I had just picked up the last item on my shopping list and was looking to see which of the checkout lanes were the shortest. This was the day that I got to see what could, would or will happen to Wal-Mart and the rest of us the day we have a major malfunction of our computer systems.

As I walked from one end of the checkout area to the other I quickly noticed all the lights being turned off at each register. One after another each cashier was turning off their light to signal they were having a problem. Within two minutes the whole checkout area came to stand still.

People of all walks of life were standing there wondering why none of us were moving. Kids asking their parents how much longer until they'll be able to watch that new DVD they were so excited to buy.

Well, those children had to wait close to 40 extra minutes before all the computers would come back online. Most people in the lines were laughing it off, but I got to thinking of just how reliant we have all become on computers and technology. A store like Wal-mart doesn't even have the old style credit card swiping machining to check customers out if this was to turn into a major problem.

For me, nothing was lost that night, but I did gain the reminder that people like me who have switched to using a Debit Card for 95% of our purchases would be stuck if computers systems crash!


No comments:

Post a Comment